Friday, April 17, 2009

Cutting Bob

Me and Kristy have been talking about circumcision. Poor little Bob. I think we should let him into the world unscathed. I'm not sure what Kristy is thinking - she seems undecided. I just don't think the "health benefits" are all they are hyped up to be. Plus I've heard horror stories of botched up circumcisions performed by hospitals - why risk it?

10 comments:

Johnner D. said...

how can you 'not be sure what kristy is thinking'. Don't you guys talk about this stuff?!?!? The health benefits are hyped up, but the reality is that the majority of the US population is circumcised. Do you want to forge a new change in society through your kid's genitalia? My nephew isn't cut and he's had 1 if not 2 UTI's. Possibly not related, but you never know. Cut that thing!

Queen Mum said...

The health benefits are so significant that the military does it for you if your parents don't.

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like you and Kristy have some research and deciding to do. I'm sure that you will make the right decision, whatever it is.

Elizabeth said...

ps. I've heard conflicting research about circumcision too. I trusted Adam on this one after some research. I think that ultimately it is a cultural decision. I asked for multiple references to choose a doctor to do it and I was sure to ask them to use some kind of pain medication. I also researched the different ways that a circumcision can be done and felt that the 'ring' offered the least complications and pain.

Anonymous said...

O.K. Let me tell you from experience-it is much better to circumcise at 2-3 days old than 4,or 8 or 14 or 16 or 20's, 30's even 90 years old!!!! Hello!!! IF you don't I WILL....Nurse Nana

Anonymous said...

All three of mine got the chop. When Connor and Chance were done it was still pretty routine, almost done without question. Now your insurance company likely will not cover the charges (they didn't cover Theron's at $400). I may not have had his done if he didn't have two brothers that way. As far as "fitting in", it may encourage him to keep his private parts private, but the fact is, fewer and fewer boys are undergoing the snip these days. Being a girl, I don't know how traumatic it is to have a freaky weinie growing up. Guess this is one for you to decide. But if you're gonna name him "Bob"...

Anonymous said...

I have rethought the idea and really think it better that you not do it. Let it get infected and the whole thing can fall off. Then as a teen birth control and HIV and gonorhea etc. is a non issue.NURSE NANA

Anonymous said...

So Nana's had her say; now it's Papa's turn. (Incidentally, in case any of you readers don't know, Nana is Kristy's Mom and an RN of abt 35 yrs w/ 10 yrs of ER, 14 of ICU/CCU, a couple of OB, etc. Her comment about seeing guys get circumcised at older ages, incl 90 is for real. She feels very strongly - could you tell? - that it's a hygiene issue.) I'm Jewish so so there was no doubt abt me and until I read this blog and did some research I didn't even realize it's an issue. But the more I read the more I realize it's not at all clear. The Am Pediatric Assoc no longer recommends it for all boys. I think I'd err on the side of cleanliness -- also on the side of my wife since I really like being married to her!!! Hey Matt, do you really want to get on her bad side and be reminded every time YOU have to pull back Robert's foreskin to clean?!!?
Here's an interesting and fun article from this week's Time Magazine that I got just yesterday:
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1891744,00.html
Papa

Laura said...

ummmm good luck making a decision =)

S said...

It's soooooo hard to clean a little wee when they are not circumcised. I struggled with Ammon since it was cheaper to do it in the Dr's office a few weeks later. Also, don't wait too long. After 4 weeks most doctors won't do it and then you have to wait until their 6 months or so and take them to a specialist to have it done for more $$$$. It's all so complicated. By the way, I highly recommend Dr. Jenkins here in Salt Lake. He did Jacob and Ammon.